The Streatorland Historical Society was originally started in 1975 as the Streator Heritage Association. In 1979, it incorporated as the Streatorland Historical Society, Inc., an Illinois not-for-profit corporation, to serve the small surrounding towns as well.

In 1985, the Society was presented with a home at 306 S. Vermillion Street to serve as a museum by Lorraine, Doug, and Robert Dieken, in memory of Lorraine's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Myron J. Stotler. The museum was opened in 1986 and has since received scores of visitors from around the country as well as great attendance from the Streator area.

Some of the industries represented in our museum include:


Jack Gilbert, Pat Breen, Mary Lou Anderson

We have dresses from our past, as well as war uniforms. All of these have been given to us by members. Other memories of our past include the Zouave displays from World War II: the Miller Cigar Store photo album, Honey Boy Evans, and Scharfenberg's "Streator Sidelights". We have thousands of pictures, including some of old baseball and basketball teams of our past, including the 1983 State Champion Girls Softball Team.

In our office we have cemetary records, obituaries, Streator and Woodland High School yearbooks, Streator City Directories, files of Streator businesses, Streator plat books, and many LaSalle County and Livingston County history books.

On the grounds of the museum is a restored 1954 Burlington Northern caboose. It is representative of the rich railroad history in Streator. The caboose was a gift from the railroad and was permanently situated in 1986. The Jim Beavers Annex is located behind the main building and serves as additional display room for our many artifacts.

We are always interested in donations of Streatorland History and we encourage group and individual tours free of charge.

We publish a monthly newsletter for over 550 members in 30 states. The cost of the yearly membership from January 1 - December 31 is: